Shearman & Sterling has been advising many of the world's leading corporations and financial institutions, governments and governmental organizations for more than 140 years. The firm has approximately 850 lawyers in 20 offices around the world. Our lawyers come from some 80 countries, speak more than 60 languages and practice US, English, EU, French, German, Italian, Hong Kong, OHADA and Saudi law. We also practice Dubai International Financial Centre law and Abu Dhabi Global Market law.
We are committed to providing legal advice that is insightful and valuable to our clients, resulting in groundbreaking transactions in all major regions of the world including:
- Asia: We advised on the first Sino-foreign joint venture in China. More recently, we advised CGN Power on its US$3.3 billion H Share IPO, one of Hong Kong’s largest IPOs in recent years. We also represented Bank of Communications in its first-ever overseas acquisition.
- The Middle East: We participated in the first power project in the Middle East that included financing from Islamic banks and, also, in the largest oil and gas Islamic financing and, most recently, represented the project sponsor and project company of a major refinery just outside of Cairo, Egypt.
- Europe: We participated in the first US listing of a German company—Daimler Benz AG—on the New York Stock Exchange and remain front and center in transactions involving automobile manufacturers in Germany and with a broad range of companies across the continent.
- Latin America: We represented the first Brazilian company to register an IPO with the US Securities and Exchange Commission and, today, have played a lead role in many of the country's most significant IPOs to date, including Santander and VisaNet.
- North America: We advised on the creation of the dual class stock when Ford Motor Company went public more than 50 years ago and today remain the company's underwriters' counsel, advising on Ford's debt and equity offerings and restructuring during Ford's continued turnaround.
We take pride in the successes of our clients and in our contributions to them.
Click here to find out more.